Notably the 3rd largest country in the world, it is obvious that China would have a lot of choices when traveling afoot. From the bustling city of Beijing to the quiet rural landscapes of Guilin uncover China's iridescent culture and lustrous scenery. Walk the Great Wall of China and take in its never ending stone walkway and historic importance, hike amid the Yellow Mountain and its four wonders of pines, rock formations, seas of cloud and crystal clear hot springs. Trek up ...
Notably the 3rd largest country in the world, it is obvious that China would have a lot of choices when traveling afoot. From the bustling city of Beijing to the quiet rural landscapes of Guilin uncover China's iridescent culture and lustrous scenery. Walk the Great Wall of China and take in its never ending stone walkway and historic importance, hike amid the Yellow Mountain and its four wonders of pines, rock formations, seas of cloud and crystal clear hot springs. Trek up Mount Emei, and imposing mountain on the edge of the Himalayas and a sacred Buddhist mountain. Stroll along the intricate waterways and tea houses in the surrounding water towns of Shanghai or along its famous promenade.
China is a force to be reckoned with when choosing your next walking adventure with its natural beauty, bustling cities, intriguing culture and dramatic landscapes offering a perfect place to discover afoot. That is why we have taken the time to hand-pick and select walks, hikes and treks that showcase the best China has to offer matched with our dedication to create that perfect bespoke walking holiday.Our range is inclusive of easy walks and strolls through to challenging hikes and treks and can be tailored to your abilities and walking appetite when you choose to walk with Onlyluxe Travel.
Best Walks & Hikes in China
- Serving as China's capital since the Yuan dynasty (1279-1368AD), Beijing's past, present and future are forced together in the crowded neighbourhoods and streets of the city. Discover Tiananmen Square, the Forbidden city and the Temple of Heaven afoot or journey to the incredible Great Wall of China starting at the sea and stretching more than one thousand miles to the desert frontiers of China's west. A lasting symbol of China's imperial might among its series of defensive walls and majestic views and an iconic site to explore on foot.
- The West: Chengdu’s history dates back to the 4th century and holds incredible artifacts and is home to the famous Giant Panda Breeding centre and amazing food. Just outside of Chengu lies Emei Shan, featuring one of the Four Sacred Buddhist Mountains of China, the sacred mountain of Mount Emei. Perched on the edge of the Eastern Himalayas, walk the incredible mountain to the summit among the World Cultural Heritage Site and World Natural Heritage Site pass temples, wildlife, forests and waterfalls.
- Shanghai and Surrounds: Enjoy meandering through the sights and sounds of Shanghai among its museum with one of the world's finest collections of Chinese artifacts spanning over 5,000 years of history, Yu Garden noted as the most celebrated classical Chinese garden in Shanghai and the famous bund, a mile-long stretch of waterfront promenade along the Huangpu River of Art Deco and Neoclassical office buildings. Other than urban exploration, Shanghai’s surrounds offer picturesque beauty from strolling the canal in Zhujiajiao to Anhui’s most prominent site, Yellow Mountain or Huangshan which is among one of the most magnificent mountains in China and part of the Top 10 hiking routes in China.
- The South: Hike among the Zhangjiajie National Forest Park and bask in its beauty. As the inspiration for Avatar, walk among the unique sandstone peaks coated with forest, ancient trees, mountains, stunning rivers and incredible vistas. The park has many points of interest and great walking trails. Walk among one of the most beautiful places in China and discover the beautiful karst landscape busy ancient streets and pleasant countryside views of Guilin. Walk among the Li River or Yu long River in Yangshuo and uncover the stunning Longi Terraces on a hike through rural and unique terraced fields of local ethnic minorities.
- The South West: Hike among the famous Tiger Leaping Gorge located within a UNESCO World Heritage area in Yunnan province, Tiger Leaping Gorge is among the deepest gorges in the world. Climb among the Meili Snow Mountains, a territory bounded by the Salween River to the west and the Mekong to the east. Traverse Shika Mountain in Shangri La, Hike into the Meili Mountains and wake up with a view of the Kawagarbo Summit, the highest summit in Yunnan or walk the Ancient Tea and Horse Road, one of the highest and most precipitous ancient roads in the world, which has carried and spread civilization and culture for centuries. With more than 10,000 kilometres in length, it's the longest ancient trade road in the world.
- The West: Discover the UNESCO World Heritage site of Jiuzhai Valley National Park and its walking trails leading through incredible natural wonders of unspoiled land with waterfalls, alpine lakes, tranquil grasslands, Tibetan villages and snow capped mountain views.
We offer guided and bespoke walking tours in China, so whether you want some insightfulness from a handpicked local guide, or to take things at your own pace, Onlyluxe Travel will ensure your travel needs are truly satisfied. We also offer private or small group journeys for individuals, groups or family travel, whatever your travel style may be.
With a large collection, you can use our TOUR FINDER to find the right tour for your next holiday. Or simply call, email us or live chat us now.