Immerse yourself in Japanese culture and natural beauty along one of the many spectacular walking and hiking trails featuring the best of Japan. Walk among ancient pilgrimage routes and trails to uncover the many shrines and temples dotted throughout the ancient Nakasendo Trail, Shikoku 88 Pilgrimage route, Shinetsu trail and Kumano Kodo hiking trail and spectacular scenery. Climb Mount Fuji on ...
Immerse yourself in Japanese culture and natural beauty along one of the many spectacular walking and hiking trails featuring the best of Japan. Walk among ancient pilgrimage routes and trails to uncover the many shrines and temples dotted throughout the ancient Nakasendo Trail, Shikoku 88 Pilgrimage route, Shinetsu trail and Kumano Kodo hiking trail and spectacular scenery. Climb Mount Fuji on the Yoshida, Fujinomiya, Subashiri or Gotenba trail. Walk the lush cedar forests of Yakushima Island on the Yakusugi Land hike or climb the volcano of Mt Aso trail on the island of Kyushu. Our range is inclusive of easy walks and strolls through to challenging hikes and treks and can be tailored to your abilities and walking appetite when you choose to walk with Onlyluxe Travel.
Top Walking and Hiking Trails in Japan
- The Nakasendo Trail or 'Road through the Central Mountains' was part of feudal Japan's network of highways. Stretching all the way from Tokyo to Kyoto, the 533km Nakasendo trail is jam-packed with Japanese traditional culture, architecture, shops and ambiance. Walking the Nakasendo trail from village to village is a great way to sample Japan's rural scenery.
- Synonymous with the natural beauty and the pursuit of spiritual perfection, Shikoku is encircled by 88 Temple Pilgrimage Trail. Pilgrims have walked the trail for 1200 years and even today we can see pilgrims in their distinctive white attire throughout the island of Shikoku. You'll walk on some of the best sections of the pilgrimage trail to experience the special pilgrimage atmosphere.
- The Kumano Kodo is a series of ancient pilgrimage routes that crisscross the Kii Hantō, the largest Peninsula of Japan. These sacred trails were and are used for the pilgrimage to the sacred site "Kumano Sanzan” and is one of only two pilgrimage routes recognised by UNESCO.
- The Shinetsu Trail is an 80km woodland trail that follows the ridge of the Sekida Mountain Range on the border between Nagano and Niigata Prefectures in the alpine region of central Japan. The trail is regarded as the best woodland trail. Located around 1,000m above sea level, it's one of the few long trails in Japan.
- Climb one of Japan’s 100 famous mountains, Mt Meakan in Hokkaido, an active volcano. Follow the trail to the summit before heading down to Lake Onneto for a spectacular view of the volcanoes and forests from the lakeshore
- Mt. Fuji, Japan's highest mountain, has been the destination of pilgrimage for centuries and inspired artists and poets with its peerless beauty. UNESCO granted Mt. Fuji World Heritage status in 2013. Walk up the incredible mountain on the Subaru line and be blessed with incredible views high above the clouds.
- On the island of Kyushu, hike to the summit of the active volcano, Mt Aso with one of the largest calderas in the world with numerous craters.
We offer guided and self-guided walking tours in Japan, so whether you want some insightfulness from a handpicked local guide, or to take things at your own pace, Onlyluxe Travel will ensure your travel needs are truly satisfied. We also offer private or small group journeys for individuals, groups or family travel, whatever your travel style may be.
With a large collection, you can use our TOUR FINDER to find the right tour for your next holiday. Or simply call, email us or live chat us now.